Welcome to the Cheeky Weekly blog!


Welcome to the Cheeky Weekly blog!
Cheeky Weekly ™ REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED was a British children's comic with cover dates spanning 22 October 1977 to 02 February 1980.

Quick links...
Basic Stats
Cheeky Weekly Index - Cheeky Annuals and Specials Index
Cheeky Weekly Artist Index
Features by Number of Appearances
Cheeky Weekly Timeline
Major Characters from the Cheeky pages
Features Ordered by Date of Commencement

*** ALL IMAGES COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Used with permission. ***
*** CHEEKY WEEKLY, KRAZY, WHOOPEE!, WHOOPEE, WOW!, WHIZZER AND CHIPS and BUSTER ARE ™ REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ***
Thanks for reading the blog.

Tuesday 5 May 2015

The Mike Lacey and Jimmy Hansen Crisis! Part 2

I retrieved the issue of Whizzer and Chips with the same cover date as the first Cheeky Weekly. My plan is to identify (to the best of my ability) any work by Mike Lacey in that issue of W&C, then compare it with the first Skateboard Squad strip in Cheeky Weekly. I'm working on the assumption that Jimmy Hansen didn't begin providing artwork for IPC product until some years later.

First up in the potential-Mike-Lacey stakes is Sid's Snake. To me this seems to be classic Mike Lacey (even though the printing quality is rather rough).


The next contender is Shiner. The style is a bit different to the work on Sid (which has a kind of 'gentler', less extreme look about it, but of course there's not a lot of action in Sid's story), but assuming this was before the Jimmy Hansen era, I reckon it is Mike Lacey. The 'two parallel line legs' with little evidence of knees is a key indicator of Mike's work for me.


The final strip from this issue which has the hallmarks of Mr Lacey (to my eyes, anyway) is this Pete's Pockets. The style is closer to that evident on Shiner than the Sid artwork. However, I suspect this may be a reprint from some years earlier which could account for the slight difference in rendition. The legs, although somewhat obscured by Wellingtons, certainly seem to be typical of Mike. Thus my decision is that this is by Mike.



Now let's compare the work above with the first Skateboard Squad strip...


I don't know about you, but I can see a few Lacey legs in there. The style seems pretty close to that evident in Shiner above, so I'm relatively certain now that this Skateboard Squad is by Mike. Maybe I won't need to reassign the artwork credits after all. More investigations coming soon.

UPDATE - I was just glancing at some covers as I put the W&Cs away when I noticed this Sid story from the previous issue to that shown above. I believe this is by Mike, but the legs are more contoured than his Shiner and Pete legs. Did Mike, like Tom Paterson, concurrently use different styles of drawing for certain strips?



8 comments:

  1. I am convinced the first three pages above are by Mike, Nibbles-------he is one of my own favourite IPC artists, and did you know he done rare work for SPARKY [D C Thomson] in 1970, on Rudlolf the Redcoat Mountie? The Petes Pockets [fantastic strip] title looks drawn by someone else though------cheers, Rab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confirmation Rab! I didn't know Mike did work for DCT, but then my knowledge of their titles is sadly lacking I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'm now relaxing a bit as it's possible my thoughts of reassigning the artwork credits on Cheeky Weekly may have been due to sheer panic!

      Delete
  3. The Winner's were by Jim Hanson in Jackpot..
    Ricky Rainbow..later Buster in the 90's..
    I wonder if crybaby in Jackpot was by Jim?
    http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3642/petergray019.jpg
    Dennis the Menace for awhile
    Wallace and Gromit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the extra information Peter. Gives me some more sources for comparison if I need them.

      Delete
  4. I remember that cheeky badge well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a photo of the one I still have in my possession!

      Delete